I’ve pinched this longer and more supported Quiet Mind from our lovely meditation series Journey to Feel, to add to your Fast Track experience.
A Quiet Mind is another one of the magic ingredients that make everything else so much easier and better – it’s behind superb Feel, perfect timing, clear thinking, calmness and confidence. It’s a foundation key behind an awareness of our body and that of our horse, that takes our riding and handling of our horses to a whole new level.
A Quiet Mind is different from a meditation, in the ease of it. We are literally just slowing things down a little and creating space for answers to come floating up.
Quick Introduction audio
I bet you never thought of THESE benefits to meditation!
(Having trouble playing the audio? Click here)
The mantra that Deva Premal and Miten are singing in the meditation below is:
Om Ram Ramaya – this mantra activates balance, strength and healing in the body. The sound Ram brings powerful balancing and healing qualities directly into your physical body, mind and emotions.
For those who like to chant along with Deva: Om Ram Ramaya Svaha Om Ram Ramaya Svaha Om.
Scroll down the page for the written version and keys to success.
(Having trouble playing the audio? Click here)
Keys to Success
1. Soft ahhh… eyes. Trying too hard is the single biggest thing that gets in the way of a Quiet Mind. You’ll notice yourself frowning a little when you’re trying too hard – I call them “squinty eyes”. In your Quiet Mind I talk about soft, smiling “ ahhh” eyes. When you smile with your eyes, when you soften them with the same kind of smiling “ahhh” that you have when you see something that tugs at your heart like a new born foal gambolling in the pasture, or a kitten or puppy playing – you will notice that you feel more relaxed and that allows everything to flow so much more easily within your meditation.
2. The power of your intention is huge. Just decide that you want to develop a Quiet Mind and allow that to gradually unfold and develop strength throughout this 30 lessons. This also makes it easier for you to have smiling ahhh eyes.
3. Understanding the five different ways in which we feel our connection to our horse, ourselves and to others is another key to success. Refresh the five ways of feeling with this lesson from our foundation principles. Even if you’ve seen it before, it’s worth repeating for all the nuances.
4. Decide to be kind to yourself today. Right now, pause for a moment and feel what it feels like to decide that you will be kind to yourself today and always.
5. Today’s meditation was designed to start a process of healing – so if you find emotional release with the mantra you can choose to repeat the music until you feel complete and at peace or you can complete the healing with your horse in the next session. Feeling good at the end of each session is our goal so please contact me for support should you need it.
6. Deva’s mantras are so powerful that we sit in silence at the end of them (for about 20 seconds in today’s meditation), soaking up and appreciating all that good energy. Then I come back to complete the meditation, so don’t click off and miss the grounding exercise at the end! (Just so you know… I have have paid for and have permission for the use of this incredibly beautiful music / song in these audios.<3 )
7. Grounding can be important to re-center ourselves after powerful meditations. Do this meditation with your feet on the ground, then you’ll notice the grounding effects of the short feet exercise at the end of today’s meditation.
8. The movement of your ribs when you breathe is not just important for you and your health, it’s important for your horse too, in order for them to relax their ribs and carry you with more strength, ease and fluidity. Horses often mirror the tension in our breath and body by having tension in their breath and body.
In the meditation you’ll notice a focus on the outward breath that is a feature of the Reverse Breathing that we will be developing.
Reverse Breathing can stimulate relaxation and also be used as a trigger to enter a Quiet Mind state quickly and easily, which is one of the aims as we go through this program.
Written Version of Our Day 1 Meditation
Being able to find a Quiet Mind no matter what is going on in our lives is SUCH a wonderful skill and finding the easiest trigger for you to drop into it, is a really good deal.
One or more of these ways of feeling inside yourself will usually work better than others – so just notice which ways are easiest for you to feel what’s going on inside your body.
Breathing in and out, gently focusing on the out breath… Noticing what’s happening to your body on the out breath -just noticing the way that the lower part of your ribs just squish the breath out of your lungs. There’s a picture of what that looks like in the Keys to Success.
You’re not pushing the air out of your lungs on purpose, just notice how it happens as you pay gentle attention to your out breath.
Notice as you’re paying attention to your out breath that the movement of your ribs becomes easier, more relaxed and more flowing.
Let’s start off in our meditation with deciding to be kind to ourselves today. Right now, feel what it feels like inside your body, to decide that you will be kind to yourself today and always.
Paying gentle attention to the out breath and the way that your ribs are just squishing that breath out of your lungs.
Notice the tiny little pause that is starting to come at the bottom of your out breath, where for just a split second, you don’t need to breathe in yet.
Smile a little bit and feel your smiling ahhh eyes, the kind of eyes that you feel when you’re smiling and watching a foal playing or a puppy or a kitten.
Keep smiling with your eyes and noticing that pause that may or may not be there yet, at the bottom of your out breath.
Now see if you can feel your heart beating … and if you can’t quite feel that, then just imagine that you can.
Now be aware of any Energy flow around your body, feel for any sensations of energy in your hands and down your legs into your feet. Smiling ahhh eyes, knowing that your own unique talent will flow easily.
Notice any feelings, any warmth, any physical feelings in your body, can you feel the movement of the hairs on your arms, the feeling in your body as you smile with your eyes. Notice everything about how good it feels to smile with your eyes like this.
Paying gentle attention to your out breath.
Notice any emotions, just gently notice everything and allowing all of it to gently flow.
Be aware of any thoughts or ideas that float across your mind, just noticing them and allowing them to flow too. Like our breath and our heartbeat and our energy, our thoughts – even our worries – are always a good deal – they are just another way of experiencing connection to ourselves and to others – so allow them to float through your mind, all the way to the pure gold of the understanding at the bottom of them.
So whatever your strongest feel is today as you have been feeling inside yourself, whether it’s breathing that’s easiest, or feeling for your heartbeat, or feeling the energy move around your body, or noticing your emotions or allowing your thoughts to gently drift across your mind – continue to notice everything about how you feel right now, with your smiling ahhh eyes and for the next few minutes, allow the beautiful voice of Deva Premal and the Om Ram Ramaya mantra, to bring you balance, strength and healing directly into your physical body, your mind and your emotions.
…Deva and Miten singing the Om Ram Ramaya…
Deva has the voice of an angel doesn’t she? So still paying gentle attention to that outward breath, feel down to your feet and how they feel on the ground, flex your toes and really feel the ground with them and take this relaxation and quieter mind out into the rest of your day.