This is the first of your Reiki symbols (the only symbol in Reiki 1) and the one I have used the most over the years.
The general meaning of Cho Ku Rei is: “Place the power of The Universe here”.
Just sit with your awareness inside yourself for a moment and Feel the meaning and potential of that… “Place the power of The Universe here.”
The power symbol can be used to increase the power of Reiki. Cho Ku Rei is like a light switch that has the intention to instantly boost your ability to channel Reiki energy.
The symbol can be used any time during a treatment but is commonly used in the beginning of a session to empower the Reiki energy and at the end of a session to close the session and seal off the Reiki energies.
Always use the Reiki symbols with respect – they are sacred representations of very ancient energy and embody the energy.
We’ll practice the symbol in a very meaningful way in tomorrow’s lesson, but in the meantime, here are some ways to use your Cho Ku Rei:
1. Use it to start and end a session. We’ll show you how later.
2. Increase the power of your healing abilities – use it as a light switch. (Draw or visualize Cho Ku Rei in front of you or draw it in the palm of your hands.)
3. You can focus the Reiki energies (like a magnifying glass) on a specific point of the body, by drawing the symbol directly on the spot being treated.
4. My personal preference is to put my hands somewhere, draw the symbol where my hands are about to go and set my intention that the energy go where most needed, because the source of the symptom is often in another place and the source of the blockage to healing can be in yet a different place. Some other people will no doubt prefer something more structured, so I’ve catered for that preference here in your training too.
5. Using Cho Ku Rei for Protection
Protection is an interesting concept. The best protection is deep and profound understanding. When we expand our understanding to the Big Picture of whatever is going on, there is rarely, if ever any need for protection because we are vibrating so high.
However, if you feel you need protection WHILE you gain that understanding, then you can use the Cho Ku Rei to protect yourself from negative energies (from people you treat or people you meet). Just draw or visualize the Reiki Power symbol in front of you with the intent of being totally protected. I suggest going into Inner Awareness and setting your intention to understand what’s happening as well, so that each need for protection expands your understanding.
The protection concept is the same for our loved ones as well – expanding our understanding will make protection for them irrelevant too. Still, while seeking that understanding, you can protect yourself, your children, your spouse, your house and other things you value.
Draw the Cho Ku Rei directly on the object/person you want to protect with the intent to protect him/her/it from harm.) Since Reiki works on all different levels of existence, it will naturally also give protection on all levels of existence.
6. There are no limits to what you can do. Let your clear intention guide the function of the symbol.
Traditionally Choku Rei is supposed to be drawn anti clockwise (from left to right). There are people who draw it in the other direction because it feels better for them and that’s OK too. It is your intention that decides the function so do what feels best for you.
Tomorrow we learn how to draw the symbol in a very meaningful way. See you then! 🙂